Sometimes the smallest change can make a big impact. My Town Mouse Fireplace has bothered me since 1997, when we bought the house. There was a brass-plated strip on it that stuck out like a sore thumb:
And let’s not forget the stone hearth:
These steps alone vastly improved the look of the fireplace.
It was then my intention to brush the paint on the brass-plate, which I first washed off with a bit of Dawn and some water. It did not go as smoothly as I had planned. I used “High Heat Rustoleum” in Black:
Fortunately, I had some in the spray form:
(I have previously used this paint on the wood-burning stoves at Country Mouse House)
I had to get creative with painter’s tape and trash bags. Then I roughed the surface a tiny bit with sandpaper and then steel wool. Here are the results, one coat at a time(I didn’t take photos after every coat. There were a total of about 8 thin coats):
I love it! I hope you do, too. It didn’t take all that long, leaving me time in the day to paint something else….